This week we take a look at the lineage of the Campbell surname as it pertains to my husband’s family history.
Earliest Known Ancestor
Henry Campbell was my husband’s 3rd great grandfather. I believe he was born circa 1821 in Rutland, Rutland County, Vermont although I cannot find his birth record to be sure. According to the Michigan Marriages to 1850 index, Henry Campbell married Ruth Newcombe in Paw Paw, Van Buren County, Michigan on April 18, 1839. The two had 10 children:
- Willard Newcomb Campbell 1843
- Walter Henry Campbell 1845 – 1917
- Clarissa Lenora Campbell 1847 – 1912
- Isaac Newton Campbell 1849 – 1850
- Charles Odell Campbell 1854 – 1906
- John Fremont Campbell 1856
- Julius Orian Campbell 1858 – 1922
- Jessie Theressa Campbell 1861
- Betsey Marion Campbell 1866
- Lenora B Campbell 1876
Henry Campbell died on 26 Jan 1873 in Waverly, Cheboygan, Michigan.
Campbell Family Lineage
Andrew Arthur Green > Jerald Max Green > Max Earl Green (1919 – 2001) > Wava Cecil Campbell (1888 – 1957) > Walter Henry Campbell (1845 – 1917) > Henry Campbell (1821 – 1873)
Items of Interest
Henry’s son Walter Henry Campbell is my husband’s 2nd great-grandfather. Walter served in the Civil War as a Private in the Union Army, Company G, 13th Michigan Infantry.
According to the book “Record of service of Michigan volunteers in the civil war, 1861-1865” Volume 13, Page 29:
Campbell, Walter H., Waverly. Enlisted in company G, Thirteenth Infantry, Aug. 29, 1864, at Kalamazoo, for 1 year, age 19. Mustered Sept. 1, 1864. Discharged at New York City May 26, 1865.
Campbell, Willard N., or William, Waverly. Enlisted in company G, Thirteenth Infantry, Aug. 29, 1864, at Kalamazoo, for 1 year, age 21. Mustered Sept. 1, 1864. Sick at Goldsboro, N. C. April 8, 1865. No further record.
I would like to find more information on the following:
- Search for Walter Henry Campbell’s Civil War Pension files.
- Find additional sources for Henry’s birth year (1821 vs. 1803 or 1800).
- Find the parents and siblings of Henry Campbell and Ruth Newcombe.
Check out my Ancestry Family Tree for Henry Campbell and his wife Ruth Newcombe.
See the Find A Grave Memorial for Walter Henry Campbell.
Read about the Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War.